Week 9 - Time flies by

Where did all of my time go!? I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since my last post. In those 3 weeks I have done a lot of work for the second assignment for EDN113. I have decided on the resource I will use and have completed a majority of the work.

I finally chose the book "Maths and ICT in the Primary School: A Creative Approach" and analysed it so I could write a short description about it. I really liked this book, mainly because it introduced me to ideas that I never would have thought of myself. The insight into how careful we as teachers need to be with using technology to educate intrigued me. To ensure to use technology in a creative and important way, not just as a means of reward or filling in spare time.
Book cover of Maths and ICT in the Primary School: A Creative Approach

It was quite easy to find my resource. First, I went to Google Books and used some keywords to see what results would come up. I didn't have much success with that so I decided to try somewhere else. Next I went to the Murdoch Library homepage and used the search function (picture below) to type in some keys words for results. 
Search function on Murdoch Library page.

 I did a few searches with keywords such as 'ICT', 'maths', 'technology', 'primary', 'mathermatics', and 'teaching'. In the end I found my resource using the keywords 'ICT', 'maths', and 'primary'. This search came up with two different books that interested me so I accessed the information pages for them and noted their locations  in the library. After I had found both of them I read their introductions and summaries and decided which one I thought suited what I was looking for more than the other. It was quite an easy decision because Maths and ICT in the Primary School: A Creative Approach directly addressed using ICT to teach Maths.

I have not been able to create my screencast yet because I have been very ill, but I have written the transcript and practised the order in which I will do the task. I have also download the screencast program from Screen-O-Matic.com because I found it easier to used while just practising rather than the online version (my computer just seemed to like the downloaded version better). I'm quite nervous to record the screencast to show how to use EndNote and how to add a reference to a Word document. I have never done a screencast before so to coordinate movement on the screen plus talking might need a few takes!

As for my website, I actually found it really hard to describe the components of this task. I wrote quite a bit but I think I covered all areas, so I'm happy with the final write-up.